Are traps transphobic?

[ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

thatmaxaaron

22, male

Are traps transphobic?

from thatmaxaaron on 01/04/2019 10:42 AM

I bet the answer is clear, but I want people to talk about it. I remember looking at a post from the artist Katzun and what happened is that it was edited in the description saying "sorry i didn't know that trap was a transphobic slur! I am changing it to crossdresser" or something similar, and it made me somewhat upset since she had to change something to please others.

I had debated with people that trap can be a transphobic word if you aim it towards trans women, but trap just means cross-dressing to me? Thoughts?

|| I am an informative writer, I know memes, but how the hell do I even apply them.

lemonvore

19, male

Re: Are traps transphobic?

from lemonvore on 01/04/2019 02:57 PM

its transphobic if you call a transwomen a trap, yeah cause thats the same as misgendering them. 

but? its not a bad term,, its not a transphobic thing to say crossdressers ARE crossdressers. trap is jus a way to discribe a good male crossdresser smh. 

- wormboy, vincent

placebo.pills

21, male

from placebo.pills on 01/04/2019 04:53 PM

traps are for both sides, like women dressing up as men and men dressing up as women. i read a post that kinda explained the reasoning behind them but i can't remember where i found it. it just explained how some of the characters in anime/manga were forced to dress up as the opposite gender or were just gnc and never wore masculine/feminine clothing but still used their assigned pronouns at birth.
so, traps aren't transphobic but once it gets to people using it against somebody who is actually trans, that's when it gets transphobic. it's disrespectful.

**but i guess traps are disrespectful/offensive anyways? people have told me that the reason why they call the characters traps is because when people start feeling attracted to the person who is crossdressing, they get "trapped" into some sort of awkward relationship (whether it be romantic or sexual) with a person who they're not attracted to anymore (physically).
idk if that really makes sense but i tried 

It's his Dema Dick.

meteorights

22, male

from meteorights on 01/04/2019 05:13 PM

i dont think the issue is with the word itself because it was originally used for crossdressers, but i think people have started to use it more and more for trans people which, , isnt good. a lot of the time people online (especially on places like twitch) it's used for anyone who isnt strictly as masculine/feminine as people think is acceptable. a pre-t trans guy i knew went on a twitch stream and the chat was full of people calling him a trap when all they knew about him was his voice, which understandably made him feel like shit. 

its okay to use it for crossdressing people that crossdress really well, thats fine. but ive seen far too many times it being used against trans people to insinuate that they are dangerous which is fucked up

lemonvore

19, male

from lemonvore on 01/04/2019 07:22 PM

nah traps is for male crossdressers n reserve traps r for female ones

ive never seen it used for a real transwomen thoigh bur im super ahsonst it being used for that n yeah the original definition is kinds dodgy but doesn't really include transwomen directly because some transwomen don't have dicks anymore so ?? that connection is kinda odd bur yeah i get why they see it for transwomen who hsvent hsd surgeries for that but its not for that.

people misunderstanding the word is when its transphobic
but the people who genuinely use the term n enjoy traps wouldn't call a transwomen a trap n stuff. like i even know a transgirl who is rly into traps but would never seriously call herself one, cause shes not. 

- wormboy, vincent

mini.soda

19, male

from mini.soda on 01/09/2019 01:05 AM

the word "trap" was coined on 4chan as a derogatory word to refer to transwoman. at least, that's where it originated from. after that, many people used it as a way to describe themselves, as opposed to crossdressing or transvestite, due to their negative connotations. it is still a very offensive thing to call transwoman, and while some people do use the term trap to refer to themselves, it is still a derogatory word due to the way it was used in its early years. although i'm not a transwoman, i find it offensive to use that word, and i have a transwoman friend who agrees with me. this may not be true for all transwomen, though.

« Back to forum