Nonbinary and Medical Transitioning

[ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

awkward_fla...

22, female

Nonbinary and Medical Transitioning

from awkward_flamingo24 on 01/07/2019 06:46 AM

I've seen an opinion: if you claim to be transgender but don't want to medically transition, you aren't really transgender (unable to transition is different, but not wanting to).

I'm not really sure how I feel about said opinion, but it's got me thinking:

What about nonbinary people? Do they have to want to medically transition to be consider valid? I've seen nonbinary people medically transition, but does every nonbinary person have to want that?

I've been thinking about it alot recently because I am nonbinary, but I don't really desire to transition medically and thus question myself alot.

I have a small chest size so I can easily wear a sports bra and it isn't very noticeable. I also like to bounce between dressing masculine, feminine or androgynous, and sometimes when I want to present more feminine I'll wear a padded bra to help achieve that (depending on what I'm wearing exactly). If I ever get breast cancer or some sort of injury heavily damaging my chest, I wouldn't mind just getting top surgery, like I'm not attached to the idea of having breasts but I don't feel the need to get rid of them either. 
Bottom surgery is a little tricky; I really don't want to have either form of genitals and I don't think there's a nonbinary bottom surgery even in existence. 
I'm not interested in getting testosterone because I feel like I already look how I want to. Like, with my hair cut short and depending on what I wear, I feel like I achieve looking masculine, feminine or androgynous. 

Thoughts?

Reply Edited on 01/07/2019 06:48 AM.

mini.soda

19, male

Re: Nonbinary and Medical Transitioning

from mini.soda on 01/09/2019 01:08 AM

that's a dumb argument, because not all transmen have that level of dysphoria. sure, most may want to medically transition, but for some, social transitioning is all they need. also, for nonbinary people, i think the most that they can transition is top surgery.

« Back to forum